Thursday, May 12, 2011

Goodbyes

Goodbyes: I really don’t like them. It’s pretty safe to say they’re never particularly enjoyable – but they also solidify what an incredible time I’ve had in Nepal. Honestly, it was a big risk coming here as excited as I was. I had no idea what to expect of the country and my time spent studying here, but at the same time, I was so ready to get away and I had very high hopes for a successful, enjoyable semester. But somehow, Nepal managed to exceed those expectations

Sure, there are definitely things I miss at home. The simple things, for the most part. A bowl of cereal with cold milk, consistently hot showers, frozen yogurt, a soft pillow, or constant electricity? Luxury items! I can’t wait. And to see the fam bam and friends back home? Another thing I’m excitedly anticipating. Or to be able to blend in while walking down the road without taxis yelling at you, people trying to sell obnoxious instruments, or dodging traffic. But that’s not to say that I’ve become accustomed to a daily life in Nepal that I’m already aware I’m going to miss. The inability to walk down the road without something exciting going one, tea breaks, a lifestyle more laid back than I’ve ever been able to experience in the past, and some amazing people.

After two days of ISP presentations and discussions reviewing the semester, we’ve made it back to Kathmandu. Moving back into Sakura hotel, down the road from the program house, was certainly a bit of a “welcome back to the real Nepal” kind of wake up call. And after a night of swatting at the mosquitoes buzzing in my ears, I woke up to find my arms, legs, and side of my face covered in flea bites. (Yes, fun fact of the day – fleas aren’t just for dogs these days.)

Tonight we will have our “final dinner” (daalbhat, of course), receive our grades for our oral and written Nepali finals, do our final “safe travels” puja, and begin our goodbyes.

So its down to this: less than twenty-four hours of packing and last-minute loose ends to tie lie between me and exiting the country. It’s insane! Time should not be able to fly by this quickly, that’s for sure. Since we just got news of a bandh (country-wide strike on just about every kind of business there is) from 5a.m. to 5p.m. tomorrow, we’ll be getting our taxi to the airport at 4:30 a.m. then it’s off to Thailand. Let the adventures continue.

And for now, Nepal? Pheribetaula.

No comments:

Post a Comment